Mystia Memoirs: Memo #02 - "Intoxication"

I did promise to post a short story about Ephemera on here before leaving for Hawaii, so here's a Lucina-centric story about both her alcohol addiction and her infatuation with Jeffrey Firework IV.

!! SPOILERS - LUCINA !!


Intoxication


Her fingers tremble against the drinking glass, the gold-painted nails repeatedly tapping against the cup's crystal surface. It's a nervous reaction she developed, one which is unconsciously performed every time she finds herself in his presence, willingly or otherwise. Much like her alcohol addiction, she's not sure when it became a habit, but she knows why it started: it's a result of being with him.

The majority of her conscience revolves around this person, whether she likes it or not, and each turning point in her life was indirectly related to him. Not everyone would judge her based on the skin condition she was born with—that was a fact she accepted after their first meeting. The realization that she didn't need to endure the bullying she received from her less understanding classmates was also a product of talking with him. Even her dependency on alcohol is partially his fault because of the many times he insisted they go drinking together.

Their current presence at this bar is at his encouragement, an idea he suggested after noticing how upset she seemed. Almost every day for the past year, after she left her workplace in the evening, she would head to the bar and buy a round of drinks to relieve herself from the constant stress of her job. But she hadn't been keeping with her established routine this week, and by Friday afternoon, the physical effects of going for so long without wine had become visible.

“Lucy, what happened to you?” he exclaimed upon seeing the dark bags beneath her half-lidded eyes. “You look like a panda. Well, pandas don't have amber eyes or blonde hair, so it's those black bags on your face that make you look like a panda.”

“I'm fine,” she assured him in a tired alto, trying to end the conversation without sounding rude or irritated with her childhood friend. “I couldn't fall sleep last night. I'll go to bed early tonight.”

He poked at her cheeks and pointed out, “You're not wearing any blush. You always put it on, and lipstick too, but you didn't do it today. There's hardly any color in your face.”

It's about to get red, she thought, if he doesn't stop touching me. “My skin is pale, Jeff. I forgot to put on makeup this morning. I'll do it when I work again on Monday.” She sighed in relief when his hand dropped to his side. At least his hand isn't touching my face anymore. “You know, you don't need—”

“Is this because of your dad?”

She stopped talking, suppressing a sigh, and stared at him with bloodshot eyes. A glass of white wine would be wonderful right now. “Why do you think I'm bothered by him? He's never affected me before, so why would this be any different?”

“Well, I don't know,” the man muttered, scratching at his scalp, shifting around several strands of his bright red hair. “If my old man was in a coma, I'd be worried about him. That's how you feel, right? That's why you can't sleep: you're thinking about your dad.”

“I haven't cared about him for a long time,” she mumbled. “His presence and existence are nothing but poison to me. He's like a disease that can't be cured, a problem much worse than my skin condition or my alcohol addiction.”

“If you don't care so much, why do you look terrible?” The lack of a response from the woman made him smile a little, and he grasped a sleeve of her trenchcoat. “You know, a little alcohol makes you feel a lot better, especially when you haven't had it in a week. How about we go to the bar, just like old times?” When she averted her gaze to stare at her other sleeve, he lowered his lip in a pout and tugged on the one he was holding. “Come on, Lucy, let's go. I'll even buy you a drink.”

She chuckles, not loud enough for Jeff to hear the soft laughter, despite sitting next to her. He's too busy focusing on not falling off the stool to pay attention to his childhood friend. I can't deal with this guy when I'm sober, she thinks, but it's not like being drunk makes it easier for me to talk to him. The wine doesn't change much; all it does is make me seem less insufferable, more levelheaded. Her amber eyes shift their gaze from her shaking shot glass to the red-haired man beside her. There are hardly any differences between drunk and sober Jeff, so alcohol doesn't really change him either. I guess the most it helps us with is providing physical relief from our stressful surroundings.

She continues to stare at her oblivious friend, her eyes half-lidded. Even though he acts like this, trying not to pass out while laughing down a bottle of whiskey, there's just something about him that interests me. I'm so deeply in love with him, every small action of his is fascinating. Hearing him spout stupid secrets that aren't even secret, like him being tone deaf and leaving the toilet seat up, or watching the barely visible vibrations of his throat when he speaks—everything he says and does seems interesting to me. Just looking at him makes my heart race, like I've been injected with a euphoria-inducing drug, and my stomach flutters uncontrollably with little butterflies. It's almost painful, but it's a nice feeling.

A crack appears on the cup, caused by the constant clacking of her nails against its crystal surface, and she apologizes as the bartender scolds her for breaking another one of his shot glasses. She stares at the cracked cup, a few ounces of wine still swaying in it, then she tosses the liquid down her throat before bothering the man for a second shot of Moscato.

I already act like I'm intoxicated around him, she concludes, so there's no harm in looking the part.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please do share your thoughts.